In the next iteration of the Model B line, Raspberry Pi has given us the very powerful Model B 4 with the goal of the credit card sized development platform becoming a full desktop experience. The 4GB DDR4 RAM version of this board has the ability to run two 4k monitors at once via two micro HDMI ports and features the long-asked-for, true Gigabit Ethernet. This creates a much higher-performing multimedia experience with the new Pi! In addition to two USB2 ports, the Raspberry Pi 4 also has two USB 3 ports making data transfers that much quicker over USB.
The Raspberry Pi Model B line is a desktop computer in a package the size of a credit card. All you need to do is plug in a monitor, keyboard, mouse and load the latest Raspbian image onto a MicroSD Card and you have a full desktop computer solution. Projects like Tensorflow, PiHole, Minecraft, and Kodi make it an excellent tool for a multitude of uses.
The RPi4 retains a lot of the features of the RPi3 B+ including the pin-out for the 40 pin header. Wireless is still available on the 4 in the form of dual-band 2.4/5.0 GHz WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0. A new feature on the 4 is the inclusion of a USB Type-C connector for power delivery replacing the Mini-B connector.
The Raspberry Pi 4 does have the ability to consume more power than the Pi 3 B+, so a proper power supply will be needed. Power over Ethernet (PoE) is available with the use of the PoE HAT (see related products). Those looking to use third party power supplies and cables or to run more intensive programs on the Pi; a proper source of power and heat dissipation measures are recommended.
- Broadcom BCM2711, quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
- 1 GB or 2 GB or 4 GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM
- 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11b/g/n/ac wireless LAN, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
- True Gigabit Ethernet
- 2 × USB 3.0 Ports, 2 x USB 2.0 Ports
- Fully backwards compatible 40-pin GPIO header
- 2 × micro HDMI ports supporting up to 4K 60fps video resolution
- 2-lane MIPI DSI/CSI ports for camera and display
- 4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
- Micro SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
- Requires 5.1V, 3A power via USB Type C or GPIO
- PoE (Power over Ethernet) enabled (requires PoE HAT)
Customer questions & answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.